Monday, December 1, 2008

Italy: Day 1, Traveling and Settling in...maybe.

30 Novembre 2008
To sum up today is going to be difficult, so this may stretch itself into a bit of a diatribe. Say goodbye to my family was more difficult than I could possibly have been prepared for and they all showed zealous support throughout the process and I am fortunate to have you all. For the past 2 weeks, my mind has been rapidly shifting from excitement to nervousness, sleep had been scarce and restless and yet I still found the time to prepare and execute this move in reasonable time. The flight was as smooth as I could have hoped for; besides a screaming toddler throwing tantrums throughout the flight. I managed to distract myself by composing a list of vocabulary that I believe will be useful to me in grasping my ability to communicate. It looks a little something like this:
Words/Phrases Parole/Espressioni
Seat/to sit Sedirsi/Sedere
Food Cibo
Cook Cuocere
To Change Cambiare
Train, the Treno
To train Fare Practica
Track(rail) Binario
Station Stazione
Schedule Orario
Remember Ricordare
Possibly Forse, se possible
Put Mettere
Chef Capocuoco
Soup Zuppa, Minestra(soup course)
Salad Insalata
Appetizer Struzzichino
Entree Prima portata
Saute Saltato, Soffrito (saltare, inf.)
Grill Griglia
Fry Friggere (fritto?)
Meal(time) L’ora di mangiare
Understand Capire
Prepare Preparare
Taxi Taxi, posteggio dei taxi (taxi stand)
Teach Imsegnare
Learn Imparare
Unclear Non Chiaro
Underdone Poco Cotto
Knife Coltello
Ladle Mestolo
Spoon Cucchiaio
Fork Forchetta
Pot Pentola, casseruola
Pan Casseruola
Oven Forno
Stove/Range Fornello
Convection Convettore
Cut Tagliare
Fat/Fatty Grasso, cicionne
Oil Olio
Flour Farina
Pepper Pepe
Salt Sale
Spice Spezzia
Vinegar Aceto
Acid, Acidic Acido, Acidita
Herb/Herbaceous Erbette/Erbaceo
Basil Basilico
Oregano Oregano?
Thyme Timo
Rosemary Rosmarino
Sage Salvia
Parsley Prezzemolo
Bay Leaf Foglio D’alloro
Chervil no translation
Apprentice Apptrendisto
Sugar Zucchero
Piglet Porcellino
Right Destro
Left Sinistra
Up/Above Su/Sopra
Down Scendere
Inside Interno, interiore
Outside Esterno, esteriore
Trash Rifiuti, Spazzatura
Trash Can Secchio della spazzatura
Type Tipo
Variety Varieta
Local Locale
Import Importare, Importato (imported)
Sauce Salsa, Sugo(with meat/fish)
Beef/Cow Manzo/Vacca
Veal Vitello
Chicken Pollo
Fish Pesce
Deer/Venison Cervo, carne di cervo
Boar/Pork/Pig Cinghiale/Porco/Maiale
Wild Selvatico
Fresh Fresco
Farm Fattoria, Coltivare
Farmer Coltivatore
Need Bisogno
Chop Spaccare
Combination Combinazione


That’s it so far, but that practice will continue.

Unfortunately, following the airport, things started slipping. After gathering my bags, I found my way to the Stazione dei Treni and purchased a ticket to Orvieto, where I am staying. This goes reasonably well, except that the next train in this direction was in two hours. So I waited. 2 hours later, that line ended in Orte, and the next train to Orvieto was delayed by an hour. So I waited. I tried calling the contact numbers I was given to arrange a ride from the train station and found that the cell phone number I was given was incorrect and the phone line at the restaurant was out of service. Wonderful. I pick up my bags and head to the track to wait for my train when the strap on my suitor (you know, the luggage that you can hang your clothes in) tore right off. Now, at this point, its feels like 10am and I’m running on minimal sleep. I’m hungry, famished, in need of a toilet, and now I need to carry well over 100lbs to the track, onto the train, off of the train and into the restaurant by hand. I did not speak a word to anyone, trying to stay calm and to appear to be as much the same as the rest of the frustrated passengers being forced to wait for their steel chariots. So, finally, I’m in Orvieto. A taxi is at the stand and quickly rushes me up the hill, winding through centuries old streets, houses and landscapes. This is absolutely stunning, and, weather permitting, as it is raining now, I should have some amazing pictures tomorrow. I arrive at the restaurant and they are in service, the bartender, Eris, tells me to bring my bags into the foyer, and walks me to the kitchen to wait until he can bring me to my apartment. I meet Carlo, and he immediately offers me food and a bottle of water. Things are looking up. A simple dish of linguine, mushrooms and pork, almost as if they already knew me! A nutmeg semifreddo leftover from service was my dessert and I at last was satiated and at ease. Finally, Eris tells me to gather my things, throw them in the back of a tiny car and we meander through the streets of Orvieto. I am a bit delirious at this point so in my head I’m hearing “This is the End” by the Doors, feeling a bit Kurtzian in this masonry jungle. We pull down this narrow alley, unload my bags and I’m presented with this skeleton key(as a keychain for the apartment key, but it is fitting). It opens the 7’ door into a stunning apartment (also pictures to come). Tile floors throughout, balconies, fair sized kitchen, ornate furniture, I’m stunned. Eris leaves me saying that Kevin, the sous chef, has a room, but the rest are available. As my excitement starts to fade, I notice that it is cold, but I cannot find a thermostat. I start running hot water, because I’m craving a shower, but there is none. I turn on my computer to contact my family and friends, but there is no internet, and I think that one of my power converters has already failed. You have just walked through my 16 hour day. I found blankets and pillows, have wrapped myself in as many of them as I can and am waiting, aggravated. I want so much to be excited for this. I am ready for this adventure, but right now I feel trapped, cold, hungry and dirty. I want to communicate with my family, let them know I am safe, but I don’t even know where to go to accomplish that. This is day one.

No comments: