Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cover Letter.



Eric Ferguson
Executive Chef
Nick’s Italian Cafe
521NE Third StreetMcminnville, OR 97128


Dear Chef Eric Ferguson,

In my journey to become a chef, I have considered myself lucky for the knowledge and experiences I have earned along the way. Each position, progressively more challenging for me as a cook and as a man, have each started to construct the foundation for which my career will begin. It is my intention to strive for more of that knowledge and skill as I can obtain and to study food and culture under those who know it best.

As a student of Culinary Arts at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island, I was taught the fundamental skills of the kitchen, but more importantly, how to learn. Being a young cook, I have worked in several restaurants which have served to affirm my desire to pursue the profession of being a chef. Every lesson that I have subsequently learned has intensified my desire to for more education, to compile as much information as I can in order to genuinely honor the chefs who have come before me and those whom which I will work under as they will undoubtedly influence my individual growth in my continuing studies.

In my pursuit thus far I have become an advocate for organizations such as the Slow Food Movement and other smaller, sustainable agriculture factions like Farm Fresh Rhode Island. In the states, I worked in short term stagier positions under several chefs as a way to expand my food intelligence as well as my exposure to their individually varying styles and approaches. In each of those restaurants or events, I learned the importance of utilization and was able to see first-hand how a chef balances natural relevance with beautiful, inspiring plates. In traveling to Italy, I found this direction is in practice as a commonplace, and used almost no ingredients that are not indigenous or cultivated in Umbria. The significance of fresh, sustainable ingredients has played a vital role in how I approach refining my palate and use of flavors. I hope to continue by surrounding myself with the food products that reflect this fervor and to continue working amongst the talented, driven chefs and other students of food as I have been fortunate enough to thus far in my early career.

I’m very confident that working among the most talented and dedicated of culinary professionals is the best opportunity for me to challenge myself and develop. I would be honored to be a member of your highly esteemed operation.

Sincerely,



David Notartomaso
Go Slow, Stay Local.
Va Piano, Rimane Locale

No comments: